Miss 2 has gone off porridge recently, which is a shame as it’s a cheap, healthy, and filling gluten free breakfast. I wondered how else I might coax her into eating oats and made up these beautiful banana pancakes – she loved them! The idea of including variations was actually inspired by her as she asked for them again and wanted to know if we could make Peanut Butter banana pancakes.
This an easy recipe to make up (for breakfast, snack, or dinner) if you have food allergies in your family. I’ve made it sometimes as Miss 2’s dinner when we’ve had a particularly trying day and we both need some comforting. It’s also a cheap and easy recipe to teach teenage boys to make when they get home from school – more nutritious than filling up on white bread!
Tip: There are two ways that you can make this recipe; you can make it with fork mashed bananas + rolled oats for a more rustic texture or use a food processor to blend the banana smooth + use oat flour. I like to do the latter as I have a little (non-motorised) beater that I use and happen to have oat flour in the cupboard (along with all a multitude of other flours).
- 1 ripe banana (mashed)
- 1/2c oats
- Finely cut ‘quick cook’ porridge oats are best, or, oat flour.
- 3 1/2T milk / almond or rice milk
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cinnamon
- Optional: 1/4 tsp guar gum + 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- If you are using oat flour, this will provide a slightly lighter texture.
Tip: If cooking for celiacs make sure that the oats are certified as gluten free as it is possible for cross-contamination to occur if there are wheat fields nearby.
Allergies: gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, nut free.
- Swap milk for pineapple juice and use some coconut thread.
- Use coconut milk and serve with fresh pineapple.
- Add 2T smooth peanut butter.
- Add 2T cocoa.
- Add 1 tsp chia seeds.
- Add 1-2 tsp of Healtheries Superfood blend: Cocoa, Coconut, and Ground Chia Seeds.
- Mix everything together well in a bowl (or food processor).
- Heat frying pan or skillet.
- Throw in some butter or neutral oil (like Rice Bran Oil), add a few tablespoons of pancake mix. Cook on both sides until golden brown.