There are a few different ways that you can make this recipe and I have endeavoured to include options without over-cluttering. Keep in mind when subbing ingredients whether it will impact the recipe overall; i.e. coconut oil or butter will solidify in cold temperatures and hold a gluten free version together better than rice bran oil; using almond meal rather than flour will give a substantially different texture. Similarly, you can create a different texture by mashing the banana by hand + grating the apple; (for our family a smooth texture is imperative for sensory reasons).
For three energetic young taste testers, I made these containing gluten but free from soy, dairy, and egg. Feel free to adapt the recipe so that it works for you and your family.
- 1 cup flour + 30g fine instant oats
- OR: 1/2 cup sunflower flour (or almond flour) + 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
- OR: 1/2 cup Healtheries Gluten Free Bread Mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 ripe bananas (= 150g frozen sliced banana)
- 2 apples peeled and quartered (= 350g intact apples)
- 1/4 cup Almond Brazil Cashew nut butter (or almond butter).
- 2 tsp Orgran egg replacer + 4 Tbsp water
- OR: 2 flax eggs
- OR: 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- OR: 2 Tbsp rice bran oil
- OR: 2 Tbsp butter (soft)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Optional: 1 tsp cinnamon
Allergies: This recipe can be made gluten free, soy free, dairy free, egg free, peanut free. Contains tree nuts.
- Preheat the oven to 180’C / 350’F. Grease a muffin tray or cupcake liners.
- In a food processor, blend the banana and apple until smooth. (If you prefer a rougher texture, grate the apple instead and mix in at the end).
- Add the egg replacer (or eggs), coconut oil, ABC nut butter, and maple syrup. Pulse to combine.
- Add the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon (if using), and apple cider vinegar. Gently pulse to combine.
- Spoon your batter into the muffin trays and place in preheated oven.
- Cook for about 35 minutes. Check after 25 minutes (you may want to add tinfoil as a cover for the remainder).
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.