This is a great dish to make in summer when fresh peaches are cheap; I made it recently on a dark Autumn day with the skies full of rain – tinned peaches work just as well and bring a bright note to the day!
It takes very little time too mix up and put in the oven; combine it with some vegetables and instant mashed potatoes for a quick meal that is also toddler / child friendly!
(FYI I buy plain potato flakes from a bulk buy store rather than buying boxed instant mashed potato from the supermarket.)
- 2 chicken breasts (boned & skinned)
- 1/3c brown sugar
- 1 peach / 1/3 of a 400g tin of peaches
- 2 pinches of ground ginger
- 1 pinch allspice or ground cloves
- 1/2T lemon juice
- Superfine white rice flour or cornflour (corn starch) to make gravy.
- Potato flakes + boiling water + rice bran oil + salt + almond milk to make mashed potatoes.
Allergies: gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, nut free.
Note: The recipe will also work well for larger amounts just double or triple the ingredients based on the number of chicken breasts you are cooking.
- Take a pyrex baking dish and put in the brown sugar.
- Put in the chicken breasts (turning them to coat them in sugar).
- Lay slices of peaches over the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle the ground ginger, allspice, and lemon juice over the chicken and peaches.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180’C for approx. 30 minutes. Baste regularly with the chicken juices. Cover in tinfoil if needed.
- Optional: After removing the chicken and peaches, whisk in some superfine white rice flour (or cornflour) to make a sweet gravy.
- Optional: Serve with steamed broccoli, mashed potatoes, and gravy.