I finally made the leap and purchased an NZD$29 Kmart Pie Maker. They are quite the internet phenomenon in part because they can be used for so many things other than pies. We decided to celebrate the purchase with family by making coealiac friendly american style donuts! They are delicious!
Allergy friendly jam donuts
- 1 1/2 cup Healtheries Gluten Free Bread Mix
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- (Pinch salt)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 30g Nuttelex or 1/4 to 1/2 cup rice bran oil
- Squeeze of lemon (or 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar).
- Filling: jam, or maple syrup, or honey.
Allergies: gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free
Note: Although I made 12 in the pie maker (3 rounds) you could bake them in the oven in muffin trays instead. You’d probably want 375’F / 180’C for 20-25 mins.
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the middle. Add milk, vanilla, eggs, rice bran oil, lemon juice. Mix well.
- Allow mix to stand for a few minutes (the gluten free flours will thicken)
- 3/4 fill each space in the pie maker. Put a teaspoon of jam in the middle. Put a little more mix over the top.
- Cook for 8 minutes. Remove and place on cooling rack. Put the next batch on to cook. (Makes 12 donuts) .