I made mine in the Kmart Pie Maker but you could also make these in greased metal muffin tins and bake in the oven. Also, although these ones are ham and cheese based you can easily adapt them to use up last night’s leftovers – chicken & roast pumpkin, lamb & feta, etc.
Breakfast Brunch Muffin
- BASE RECIPE:
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds (or ground linseed, or LSA)
- 1/4c wheat germ (for protein and fibre)
- 3 eggs (whisked)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or a squeeze of lemon (the acid helps activate the baking powder for the fast cook in the pie maker),
- YUMMY EXTRAS:
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley from the garden
- 1 finely chopped ripe tomato
- 50g finely chopped ham
- Large handful of grated cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- Last of the frozen corn (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
Allergies: soy free, nut free.
TIP: Since cooked tomato is rather moist, I would use garden tomatoes for immediate eating and finely diced sundried tomatoes for school lunches.
- In a mixing bowl: combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, chia seeds, wheat germ.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add: eggs, parsley, tomato, ham, cheese, corn. Mix.
- Slowly add a small amount of milk to make a smooth, thick batter. Add the apple cider vinegar or lemon juice last and give a final mix.
- Bake in Kmart Pie Maker for 8 minutes. Makes 3 batches (12 muffins). Alternatively, bake in oven at 375’F / 180’C for about 20-25 mins (or until skewer comes out clean).