Author is a solo parent raising a young toddler and two cats.
Hi, welcome to the blog, feel free to chat and look around a while.
I initially started the blog thinking that I’d focus on parenting posts with strategies for common challenges (like tantrums and sleep). There are some of these but the site has also expanded to a wider look at healthy living, allergy friendly recipes, experimenting in the kitchen, fun activities to do with kids, craft ideas, and the journey of discovery with my daughter’s health issues.
So far as well as the joys and tears of 24/7 solo parenting a toddler, there’s also my daughter’s health issues which mean a lot of time in the kitchen, a lot of research, a lot of sleepless nights, a lot of medical appointments, and a lot of patience (and hugs of course, lots of hugs!)
You might find a sense of connection with the blog because you have kids, or you’re a solo parent, or have someone in your family with food allergies, or have a child with special needs, or because you like cooking, or just because you thought an Instagram photo was pretty! Whatever your reason, welcome 😀
For those with food allergies or chronic health issues / disabilities / special needs, this is where I’m at diagnostically for Miss 3:
- Autism (mild)
- Anxiety (severe)
- Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) + Recurrent Abdominal Pain (RAP)
- Gastric Reflux Disease (GERDS)
- Surgery removed adenoids + tonsils and reduced turbinates (due to ongoing inflammation from chronic illness and airborne allergies).
- Delayed (non-IgE mediated) systemic allergies to soy, red kidney beans, cannellini beans.
- Intolerance: Feijoas, Citrus Fruit
- Sensitivity: all artificial additives (we’re on an RPAH Failsafe list of nasty additives to avoid).
- Potential sensitivities to: strawberries, tomatoes, potatoes, cashews, dairy, gluten.
- Environmental: allergic to bee stings, over-active histamine response to other insect bites; airborne grass/weed pollen; and dust mites.
- Medical: sensitive to topical steroids (i.e. Flixonase results in nose bleeds and periorificial dermatitis.
- Contact: needs to be soap free and no more bubble baths (even our ‘sensitive’ Goats Milk one) as her skin is so reactive; no sulphates (i.e. Sodium laureth sulfate <SLS>) or parabens; no glycerin (can be soy derived).
- Mild eczema and other dermatitis issues.
- Immune disorder (as one doctor put it ‘Her immune system works – it’s just a bit wonky’); catches infections easily, constantly, and has difficulty fighting them off. Even with surgery, she’s still having ongoing issues with sinus & ear infections resulting in fluid in the sinus cavities around eyes and nose causing puffiness, pressure, and discomfort 😦
She’s my brave, wonderful, daughter and I adore her. She has so many challenges to overcome and the world is such an overwhelming place so much of the time! Her current loves include dinosaurs, solar system, marbles, and miniature food / objects.