Author is a solo parent raising a young toddler and two cats.
Hi, welcome to the blog, feel free to chat and look around a while.
I initially started the blog thinking that I’d focus on parenting posts with strategies for common challenges (like tantrums and sleep). There are a few of these and I’d like there to be more (once I consistently get more than five hours sleep a night). Instead, the site has segue-wayed into a focus on allergy friendly recipes, experimenting in the kitchen (on a budget), and the journey of discovery with my daughter’s health issues.
So far as well as the joys and tears of 24/7 solo parenting a toddler, there’s also my daughter’s health issues which mean a lot of time in the kitchen, a lot of research, a lot of sleepless nights, a lot of medical appointments, and a lot of patience (and hugs of course, lots of hugs!)
You might find a sense of connection with the blog because you have kids, or you’re a solo parent, or have someone in your family with food allergies, or have a child with an illness, or because you like cooking, or just because you thought an Instagram photo was pretty! Whatever your reason, welcome 😀
For those with food allergies or chronic health issues, this is where I’m at diagnostically for Miss 2:
- Gastric Reflux Disease (GERDS)
- Enflamed adenoids, tonsils, turbinates resulting in snoring, sleep apnoea, sore throats etc. (linked to airborne allergies).
- Delayed (non-IgE mediated) systemic allergies to soy, red kidney beans, cannellini beans.
- Intolerance: Feijoas
- Sensitivity: artificial colours.
- Potential sensitivities to: synthetic antioxidants, preservatives (i.e. sorbates), sulphites, xanthan gum (can be soy derived), strawberries, tomatoes, potatoes, cashews, dairy, gluten.
- Environmental: allergic to bee stings, over-active histamine response to other insect bites;airborne grass/weed pollen and dust mites.
- Medical: sensitive to topical steroids (i.e. Flixonase results in nose bleeds and periorificial dermatitis.
- Contact: needs to be soap free and no more bubble baths (even our ‘sensitive’ Goats Milk one) as her skin is to reactive; no sulphates (i.e. Sodium laureth sulfate <SLS>) or parabens; no glycerin (can be soy derived).