So I was trying to make gnocchi for the first time this afternoon and decided to make a mini batch that excluded egg. I could tell (from the many blogs / tips & tricks / recipes that I’d read prior) that this batch would not make good gnocchi. It was much denser then the first batch that I’d made. On the other hand, being a frugal mumma means experimenting in the kitchen so I proceeded to roll it out and make little gnocchi. I was pretty sure that they were just the right texture to pan fry and they turned out as a delicious gluten-free snack that Miss 2 thought was delicious!
- 1/2c potato flakes
- 1 tsp parmesan powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp smoked garlic salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4c boiling water
- 1/4c plain flour
Note: This makes a snack for one adult (to share between adult & toddler) just multiple the ingredients by the number of serves you want to make.
Allergies: gluten free, soy free, egg free, peanut free, tree nut free. Can be made dairy free.
- Put the potato flakes, parmesan, garlic salt, and onion powder in a bowl. Add approx. 1/4c boiling water and stir.
- Add flour and stir / knead to combine into a thick dough. The mixture should be smooth, thick, and not sticky. Don’t over knead.
- Roll mixture into 2 balls (or more depending on if you’ve doubled / tripled the recipe etc.).
- Using a floured bench, roll each ball out into thumb width ‘wriggly worms’ (as Miss 2 deems them).
- Chop them into 1/2″ – 3/4″ pieces.
- If you have a gnocchi board then you can use that to do the ridges. I don’t and used the alternative method which is to press and roll them off a fork and indent the back with your thumb.
- Heat a frying pan and cover the bottom in a thin layer of oil (I use rice bran). Once the oil is hot drop in the gnocchi.
- It only takes 1-2 mins to fry them on each side (you can turn using silicon tongs or a spatula).
- Place them on a paper towel and lightly pat off the oil.
- Serve with chili mayo or your choice of dips.
2 thoughts on “How to make quick & easy fried gnocchi (a.k.a. rapid roastini)”