Makes 10 helpings. These are warm and savoury; leaving out the onion & chilli they can be paired with jam or a chocolate spread instead.
- 3c flour
- 1c cool water
- 1c dessicated coconut (soaked in water)
- 1T neutral oil (I like rice bran oil)
- 1/4c finely chopped onions
- 1/4c finely chopped chillies (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, oil, and soaked coconut. Add the cup of water slowly until a soft dough forms. If using chilli and onion, add these now. Be careful not to overwork the mixture.
- Form the dough into 10 balls of equal size. Gently roll the dough into shape. In an oiled pan, fry in high heat until both sides are brown. Be careful not to overcook (like I did!), it should be soft rather than hard.
Allergens: soy free, dairy free, egg free, peanut free, tree nut free.
Source: M. Tharaneetharan, World Concern, Sri Lanka.