I love chocolate. I’ve posted a few chocolate recipes like the Crazy One Dish Chocolate Cake and the Chocolate Irish Potato Cake, and I’ve posted some make-from-scratch gluten free recipes like the Vanilla Cupcakes and the all natural pink berry flavoured icing. I wanted to play around in the kitchen with some different gluten free ingredients and make a wonderfully chocolatey and moist cupcake that also wouldn’t be packed with sugar – I prefer to balance my cakes so there’s more chocolate flavour in the cake and then extra sweetness in the (optional) icing. Miss 2 loved these with all natural peppermint icing or the Chocolate Buttercream icing (dairy free).
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1/2 cup neutral vegetable oil (like Rice Bran oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Generous pinch ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup superfine white rice flour
- 1/2 cup garbanzo flour (also called chickpea flour)
- 1T sweet (glutinous) rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1/2 tsp guar gum
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2T Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Allergies: dairy free, soy free, gluten free, nut free.
- Preheat the oven to 180’C.
- Whisk together the ingredients in Group 1. This helps to aerate the mix. You can use a stick blender or I used the food processor (with a plastic mixing attachment, not a metal cutting blade!).
- Sift together the ingredients in Group 2.
- Mix the combined dry ingredients into the whisked liquid.
- Pour into cupcake cases (makes about a dozen). Bake at 180’c for approx. 25-30 mins or until cooked.
- Allow to cool before icing. (We liked combining these with an all natural peppermint icing!).
The icings that I use don’t have any artificial colours, glycerin, additives etc.
- Pink icing (fruity)
- White icing (peppermint)
- Chocolate buttercream (can be dairy free)
- Dust with raw unrefined coconut sugar mid-way through baking.
5 thoughts on “Moist & delicious Chocolate Cupcakes (gluten free!)”
This could be dangerously yummy😂 Tonye🌸