I love chocolate. I’ve posted a few chocolate recipes like the Crazy One Dish Chocolate Cake and the Chocolate Irish Potato Cake, and I’ve posted some make-from-scratch gluten free recipes like the Vanilla Cupcakes and the all natural pink berry flavoured icing. I wanted to play around in the kitchen with some different gluten free ingredients and make a wonderfully chocolatey and moist cake that also wouldn’t be packed with sugar – I prefer to balance my cakes so there’s more chocolate flavour in the cake and then extra sweetness in the (optional) icing. I liked my recipe for the gluten free Chocolate Cupcakes and used it as the basis for this cake!
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1/2 cup neutral vegetable oil (like Rice Bran oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Optional: 1 Tbsp Healtheries Superfood Blend Ground Chia Seeds, Cacao, Coconut.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup superfine white rice flour
- 1/2 cup garbanzo flour (also called chickpea flour)
- 1T sweet (glutinous) rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1/2 tsp guar gum
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries (i.e, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries).
- I like this paired with raspberries best!
Allergies: dairy free, soy free, gluten free, nut free.
- Preheat the oven to 180’C.
- Whisk together the ingredients in Group 1. This helps to aerate the mix. You can use a stick blender or I used the food processor (with a plastic mixing attachment, not a metal cutting blade!).
- Sift together the ingredients in Group 2.
- Mix the combined dry ingredients into the whisked liquid.
- Divide the mix between two cake tins (or similar). Bake at 180’c for approx. 25-30 mins or until cooked.
- Allow to cool before icing. Place one cake layer on serving dish. Cover with jam (i.e. you could have raspberries in the cake mix and then use raspberry jam), place the second cake layer on top, dust with icing sugar. Serve with cream or coconut ice-cream.
As an alternative you might want to bake this as a bundt cake and use a chocolate buttercream frosting.
One thought on “Wild berry chocolate cake (Gluten Free)”