A satisfying version of a classic treat that balances a range of healthy vegetables, tasty proteins, and filling fats with only 10g carbs per salad.
- 100g fresh green beans
- 1 cup chopped lettuce (romaine or cos)
- 80g fresh tomato (sliced)
- 30g colby / cheddar cheese (grated)
- 100g bacon
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp Caesar dressing (store bought).
Note: Bacon seems to mean different things in different countries, in New Zealand bacon has a wide selection so feel free to use whatever you prefer.
Allergies: free from gluten and soy.
- Start a small pot of water boiling. Using a spoon, carefully slide in the eggs. Reduce heat to a simmer and set timer. The BBC have a helpful guide on timings; I tend to remove after 6 minutes. Tip: Keep in mind that the yolk will keep setting the hot shell until you peel it.
- Start the bacon cooking. If you’re using a frying pan / skillet and on keto than you may wish to use the bacon grease to saute the green beans. I prefer to cook bacon in the air fryer.
- Cook your green beans while the bacon is cooking; if you want to boil them (after removing the eggs) they will only take 2-3 mins.
- Layer your salad with lettuce, green beans, and tomato. Peel the hardboiled eggs and chop in half. Cut the cooked bacon into strips (or even better, use kitchen scissors and snip it directly onto the salad). Sprinkle over the grated cheese. Drizzle the dressing.
Nutrition InformationServing Size: 1 full recipe
|Energy||2367 kJ (565 calories)|
|Fat, total||38.3 g|
|– saturated||13.9 g|
|– sugars||7.8 g|
|– starches||1.2 g|
|Dietary Fibre||5.2 g|
|Vitamin C||22.6 mg|
|Vitamin A||1864 µg|