This gluten free breading mix is easy to make, stores for up to two months, and is really versatile. Often food allergies mean that takeaways are a thing of the past, so it’s always nice to have a few recipes up your sleeve that allow you to make them at home.
You can use this for everything from breaded zucchini, to fried kumara (sweet potato) chips, chicken nuggets, and fried chicken. I’ve used it both in the oven and in a shallow oil fry and it works both ways.
- 2c superfine white rice flour
- 1/2c fine cornmeal (polenta)
- 2T onion powder
- 2T garlic powder (garlic granules also work)
- 1T paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
Allergies: soy free, dairy free, egg free, gluten free, nut free.
Note: Gluten free ingredients are often sold at bulk food stores or Asian supermarkets if you’re having trouble finding them in your normal supermarket. Spices are also much cheaper and have a wider variety at bulk food stores!
- Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 3 months and use as needed.
Source: Elizabeth Gordon’s “The Complete Allergy-Free Comfort Foods Cookbook.”