- 1/2 cup superfine white rice flour
- 1/2 cup Healtheries Gluten Free Bread Mix
- Note: this already contains guar gum.
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1T sugar
- Optional: 1T Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- 1 egg
- few drops vanilla essence
- 1 Tbsp rice bran oil
(Have more rice milk available.)
Allergies: dairy free, gluten free, soy free, nut free.
- Whisk the wet ingredients until frothy.
- Combine the dry ingredients and then mix in the frothed wet ingredients.
- Slowly mix in additional rice milk until you have a smooth consistency.
- Allow mixture to stand for a few minutes (it will thicken up).
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Wait until it is hot and then brush with butter or allergy-free spread (like Nuttelex).
Drop level tablespoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and cook for half a minute or until bubbles appear on the surface.
Turn over and cook other side for 1 minute until golden.
Allow to cool and serve with butter / spread and honey or jam.
Note: There are several reasons that I choose to use the Healtheries Gluten Free Bread Mix instead of the Healtheries Gluten Free Baking Mix.
I prefer to use guar gum in my recipes and avoid xanthan gum; the latter is artificially derived and is often grown on an allergenic base (such as corn, soy, or wheat).
I like to control the rising agents in my baking so that I can tailor them to each recipe.
Frugality! The Bread Mix can be used to make both Gluten Free Bread and Gluten Free Baking whereas their Baking Mix can only be used for baking.
2 thoughts on “Nana’s Yummy Gluten Free Pikelets”