It looks like we have an early start to summer with hot sunny days in the garden to appreciate our Spring flowers. Spending time outside has been a big part of our Discovering Spring unit as we explore life cycles (plants and insects), do gardening, make art with our flower press, and visit farms to see the baby animals that have been born.
It’s also a great time to explore making hand made body paint using a few simple ingredients. This is a messy play activity that is best done outdoors.
Materials (per colour)
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon flour (or rice flour)
- 1 Tbsp water
- A squirt of shaving foam
- A few drops of food colouring
- Spoon, bowl, paintbrush
Tip: We like using shaving foam in art; we also use it to make marbled paper. Used in this recipe, it creates a puffy consistency that can also be used for textured painting on paper. If you would like a smoother, more liquid consistency, use 1 Tbsp suntan lotion instead.
- In a small bowl (or cup), place the cornstarch, flour, water, and food colouring. Add a small squirt of shaving foam.
- Mix well until smoothly combined. Add a little rice bran oil or shaving foam if too thick.
- Use a paintbrush to draw designs. A hand mirror is useful for kids that would like to do their own. Try looking for inspiration outside to create flowers, leaves, and insects!