Grilled mushrooms with melted cheese make a quick and easy vegetarian meal.
- Portobello mushrooms (or similar big fleshy mushrooms)
- Piquant easy-melt cheese (like goat cheese or blue cheese)
- Fresh salad ingredients (like sliced tomato, grated carrot, baby spinach, lettuce, sliced beetroot, watercress, mungbeans, sliced cucumber).
- Hamburger bun, brioche bun, gluten-free wrap or bun.
If goat cheese seems too…well, goaty, consider a goat-buffalo cheese blend. Similarly, if blue cheese seems too strong consider a creamy mild blue cheese. Alternatively, use a strong tasty or colby cheese + grated parmesan and mozzarella!
For dairy free / soy free / vegan cheese consider: Daiya or Angel Food
If allergies aren’t an issue, there a range of burger buns to choose from, or go up-scale and use a brioche bun. For gluten-free (or soy free) then you may want to use a gluten free bun or wrap. You can also skip the bun (and substitute rice or beans) and tell your child (or yourself) that you’re simply having a super fancy ‘deconstructed’ burger.
Allergies: gluten free*, dairy free*, soy free, egg free, nut free.
- Prepare your salad ingredients.
- Grill the mushrooms and cheese.
- Assemble your burger. Add dressings (like sauces and mustard) if desired.