I knew Miss 2 would find today rough given that we had another hospital appointment and I wanted to give her something special for dinner. It’s days like today that I really miss having the option to up some kind of takeaways for dinner but her food allergies preclude it. So instead there was a trip to the fishmonger this morning to choose a fish and I went with the luxury of having him fillet the red cod for me rather than having a long messy job at home.
After finding potato flakes at a bulk buy store I’ve been really curious about what they can be used for. I’ve already used them in a delicious Chocolate Irish Potato Cake and I’d read that you could use them to crumb fish and apparently create the equivalent of a crispy hashbrown shell. I suspect that the hashbrown effect requires deep frying whereas I just lightly oiled my electric wok but the effect was delicious (and handy to know if you happen to be gluten free).
- Filleted fresh fish
- Flour (or superfine white rice flour)
- Potato flakes
- Seasoning: onion powder, smoked garlic salt, dried parsley
- Oil (or rendered pork fat, i.e. from roasting pork sirloin)
- I used rocket and parsley from the garden.
Allergies: soy free, gluten free, dairy free, peanut free, tree nut free.
- Wash and slice your potatoes.
- I like to leave the skin on mine and I have to admit to being inspired by #MKR to do these flat style chips instead of a more traditional cut. They’re yum! The goal is to have them fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside so don’t cut too thinly.
- I put the potatoes in the steamer in the microwave for about 10 minutes to give them a bit of a head start before placing them in the roasting pan.
- Preheat the oven to 200’C.
- Spread out the potatoes on a roasting tray. Warm the potato fat in the microwave to turn it back into a liquid and pour it over the potatoes (or use oil). Crack a bit of salt over the top and pop them in the oven. They’re going to take about 40 minutes to cook which gives you time to prepare the fish or peg out washing etc..
- Dust a board or bench in flour. Whisk an egg in a bowl. In a different bowl mix potato flakes and seasoning. Lay the fish in flour, then egg, then season potato flakes.
- Add the fish to a hot oiled frying pan and cook for a few minutes on each side till served through. (You can shallow or deep fry if you prefer).
- Serve fish with chips, salad, and your choice of sauces.