- I use around 450g per batch.
- 1 small red sweet onion, finely diced.
- I have used brown onion as well for more of a hashbrown flavour.
- 2 eggs, beaten.
- 3T flour
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Oil (or butter) for frying.
- Toppings: sour cream & apple sauce.
Allergies: soy free, dairy free, gluten free, peanut free, tree nut free.
- Grate the potato.
- A food processor is great for this! I have also hand grated. In some countries you can buy bags of frozen pre-shredded potato.
- Note: if using a food processor for the potato then you can also use it for the onion but remove the potato first.
- Squeeze the potato with your hands to remove excess moisture and then pat dry.
- Put the potato in a mixing bowl and add onion, eggs, seasonings, and flour. Mixture should be thick and cohesive.
- Heat and oil a frying pan and fry batches of potato mix (I use about 2T for each patty).
- Fry for several minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately or keep warm in the oven on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- If you want to wait and have everyone eat together then you can brown each side of the latkes on a higher temperature, cook for a slightly shorter time, and then finish them all off in the oven for 5-10 mins.